Friday, December 21, 2012

All People Believe in Something

All people believe in something and disbelieve in something. And all people trust someone and distrust someone.

Some people believe in God, some believe in a certain philosophy, some believe in science or in philosophy of science (which is not the same). Philosophies change all the time. In Acts 17, it is written how Paul preached to philosophers in Athens. It is considered that these philosophers were Stoics and Epicureans. These philosophies were very popular at that time. How many people believe in Stoicism and Epicureanism now and how many people believe in Christ now?

Many scientific theories also change over the time. Some of them "proved" to be wrong. Eventually, scientists are human and they make mistakes just like anyone else.

Some people trust politicians, some do not. Some trust Putin, some trust Obama, and so on. I do not trust Putin, but I have to admit that if I believe some people's negative reports about him, it means that I trust them more than him. Probably, I do not fully trust any Russian politician.

Some people trust mass-media, some do not. In fact, not everything reported by mass-media is true. For example, in August 2008, there was a short war between Russia and Georgia in South Ossetia. If you compare the reports of this war from Russian and Western mass-media, you will think that these are reports about two absolutely different wars. It is because these reports are completely different. Who is right and who is wrong? I do not know. I do not know what really took place in South Ossetia and Georgia in August 2008. I have to admit that. I also have to admit that I do not fully know what took place during the latest two wars in Chechnya because there are many different and contradictory reports of those wars. I know much less about the wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and many others. I have to admit this. These are just some examples.

Why do some people think that it is reasonable to believe in mass-media, politicians, and so on, but it is unreasonable to believe in God? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment