Friday, December 21, 2012

On God's Existence (1)

There are many people in Russia who do not believe that Osama bin Laden ever existed. They do not trust American government and mass-media. And they believe that Osama bin Laden was a fictitious person who was invented in order to justify American war in Afghanistan.

I do not believe in this theory. I believe that Osama bin Laden really existed. However, I do not think I would be able to "prove" to such people that he really existed. Why? It is because all the information about him that I can provide is from mass-media and they believe that it was forged. I am unable to introduce to them living bin Laden because he is dead and only very few people know where his body is now.

In the same way, I am not sure that I would be able to "prove" that Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Napoleon or anyone else ever existed to people who do not believe in their existence.

As far as I know, most people in the Western countries, even atheists, do not deny that Jesus and Muhammad existed. In the Soviet Union, the official doctrine was that they never existed and most people believed in that.

It is not so easy to "prove" existence of a person, a human being, especially, if this person is already dead. It may be impossible to give sufficient evidences to convince some people who do not believe that someone really existed.

If it is hard or even impossible to convince some people that someone, a human being, really existed, will it be easier to "prove" the existence of God, especially, to the most stubborn atheists? In the same way as some people invent their own arguments against bin Laden's existence, atheists invent their own arguments against God's existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment